Miami-Dade's 12,000-student enrollment plunge last year was a "perfect storm" that won't repeat, outgoing Superintendent Jose Dotres told reporters Thursday on the first day of the 2026-27 school year.

The prediction matters for Aventura-area families: while none of the three local schools (Aventura City of Excellence School, Don Soffer Aventura High School or Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High) landed on the district's closure list this summer, every campus in the nation's third-largest district faces tighter budgets when enrollment falls. In neighboring Broward County, an 11,000-student drop translated to roughly $100 million in lost state funding, according to WLRN.

What drove the newcomer collapse

Dotres identified one overwhelming driver: the collapse of "newcomer" students, families arriving from abroad. Over the prior three years, Miami-Dade enrolled between 14,000 and 22,000 newcomers annually. In 2025-26, that number cratered to 3,200, WLRN reported.

"We've declined in enrollment, but this was almost like the perfect storm or Hurricane Andrew," Dotres said. "We had never experienced a 12,000-student loss in just one year."

Two federal policy shifts drove the newcomer collapse: President Trump's deportation agenda and the termination of Temporary Protected Status for hundreds of thousands of Venezuelan and Haitian immigrants. As many as 350,000 Haitians lost TPS protection after a federal judge lifted an injunction blocking the change, the Miami Herald reported. Florida is home to 113,000 Haitian TPS holders, more than any other state, and South Florida has the nation's largest Haitian community.

How TPS policy plays out locally

The TPS terminations are particularly relevant in the Aventura corridor, where families from abroad have enrolled in local schools in recent years. Dotres said the district is paying "extra close attention" to schools in neighborhoods with large Haitian communities and ensuring campuses provide outreach resources for anxious parents. At a press briefing on Friday, he urged families directly: "Parents should not keep their children at home. Please bring them to school."

As we reported Aug. 3, the district closed or consolidated nine schools over the summer and cut 168 positions. ACES, Don Soffer Aventura High and Mourning Senior High avoided that round, but per-pupil state funding flows through the Florida Education Finance Program, meaning fewer students districtwide still squeeze budgets at every school.

Leadership transition still taking shape

Dotres did not have a first-day enrollment count Thursday. He said figures would come in the following days.

The superintendent's tenure is scheduled to end in February. Rafael Villalobos, a 32-year district veteran who most recently oversaw 110 schools and 83,000 students as South Region superintendent, was selected by the school board in an 8-0 vote on July 29 to succeed him. In an Aug. 4 interview with NBC Miami, Villalobos said the district must "right-size" while directing extra resources to remaining schools to improve them.

The board had not finalized Villalobos' start date or Dotres' exit date as of Thursday. Families should watch for a board vote on those terms and for the first official enrollment count, expected within days, which will signal whether Dotres' stabilization forecast holds.